The Turbo 400 is the favored 3-speed transmission today for high horsepower applications because of its light weight, minimal drag, and its tolerance of abuse. As rugged as it is, there is one glaring weakness; the internal case "lugs" that retain the center support and pressure plate do not go completely around the inside of the case. At high horsepower levels, the "lugs" closest to the gap become overloaded and they fail. This sets off a chain reaction and all of the remaining "lugs" fail in a zipper-like fashion ending up in a ruined transmission. Reid Racing, Inc. has redesigned the Turbo 400 to correct this problem and has added dozens of features that improve every aspect of the case.
Just as with the renowned Superglide cases, Reid Racing uses a phenomenally expensive permanent mold casting technique for the Super Hydra 400®, which results in a massively strong, tough, ductile, and leak-free case that is 100% interchangeable with existing GM Turbo 400 cases. Standard governor, speedometer, and wire connector feedthrough is featured in the case. By using the same bellhousings as the Reid Racing Superglide, the two-piece design allows the Hydra 400® to be used behind all popular engines by simply changing bolt-on bellhousings.
The case wall thickness is sufficient to pass SFI 4.1 explosion requirements without any external shields or internal liners. This increased wall thickness also provides the strength required for off-road applications such as rock crawling and desert or short course truck racing.
Two separate cases are offered: a Drag/Street version and an Offroad version, each with features geared specially for its application. Included in both versions is a new billet steel pressure plate and an oversize retaining snap ring. The Super Hydra 400® ensures that Turbo 400 style transmissions can withstand huge horsepower levels and its use will not be limited by the number of remaining junkyard cores.
- Standard bellhousing flange fits Reid Racing's full line of SFI 30.1 bellhousings, as well as SFI 6.x "cans" from Browell, Trick Titanium, Quicktime, and others. Indexing ring on the oversized flange properly centers bellhousing.
- Full 360° lugs
- Speedometer and Governor provisions
- Improved billet pressure plate
- Oversize snap ring
- Longer band anchor pins captured by oversize bosses
- Numerous strengthening features address problem areas in the GM case
- Additional dipstick hole on driver's side
- Multiple external pressure taps allow monitoring of circuit pressures
- Accepts all style oil pumps including 8 bolt and vari-pitch designs
- Bellhousing and oil pump threads are heli-coiled
- Machined for standard NPT fittings
- Pre-machined to fit larger custom planetary gear carriers